- FUTURE TOURS
- PAST TOURS
- OCTOBER 2016 BHUTAN
- 25 JUNE - 05 JULY 2016 TBILISI, TUSHETI PROVINCE, SHENAKO, DARTLO, PARSMA, ATSUNTA PASS, ARDOTI, SHATILI,KAZBEGI, TBILISI
- 15 - 27 JUNE 2016 TBILISI, KUTAISI, SVANETI AND BUTUMI
- 22 NOVEMBER - 9 DECEMBER 2015 INDIA
- 1 - 18 SEPTEMBER, 2015 UZBEKISTAN
- 5 - 25 JULY, 2015 KASHMIR AND LADAKH
- 23 JUNE - 4 JULY, 2015 LADAKH
- MAY 2015 EASTERN TURKEY
- 21 FEBRUARY - 6 MARCH, 2015 OMAN
- 14 NOVEMBER - 4 DECEMBER, 2014 MYANMAR
- 10 - 25 SEPTEMBER, 2014 TAJIKISTAN
- 10 - 28 SEPTEMBER 2013 INDONESIA
- 27 JUNE - 16 JULY 2012 TAJIKISTAN
- 28 JANUARY - 14 FEBRUARY 2011 INDIA
- 26 SEPTEMBER - 6 OCTOBER 2010 GEORGIA AND ARMENIA
- 26 SEPTEMBER - 14 OCTOBER 2009 BORNEO
- 28 OCTOBER - 8 NOVEMBER 2007 VIETNAM, CHINA AND LAOS
- 28 JULY - 14 AUGUST 2006 MONGOLIA
- COMING SOONEXPEDITION PLANNING
2016 GEORGIA, A PAINTING TOUR accompanied by Hugh Buchanan
Following the successful painting journey to Oman in 2015, the Society is organising another trip for watercolourists in the second half of June 2016, to Georgia - a land of turbulent histories, extraordinary cultural traditions and quite stunning landscapes.
Limited to 14 travellers.
- 15 - 27 June 2016
- Tbilisi, Kutaisi, Svaneti and Butumi
The party will fly into Tbilisi for 2 days painting in Mtskheta with its dramatic 11th C cathedral. The itinerary continues to Kutaisi, before going on to the remote and beautiful mountains of Svaneti. Here the party will spend 6 nights divided between the villages of Mestia and Ushguli. There is plenty to paint including the villages with tower houses and dramatic scenery. (It is good walking country too, but this is essentially a painting tour.) Then the party will drive to Batumi for a final night before flying back to London. The trip will last 13 days London-London.
Accommodation in Georgia is simple and the party will be staying in family run guest houses in Kutaisi and Svaneti and comfortable hotels in Tbilisi and Batumi. Transport will be by mini-coach and, where necessary, 4×4 in the mountains.
The party will be led by the well-known watercolourist, Hugh Buchanan, who paints with the party, demonstrates suitable techniques for each subject and gives regular feed-back sessions. The local guide, an artist herself, is Ms Teona Chuniashvili.
Trip price: £2180 pp includes all hotel, most meals as specified in the itinerary, all transportation and porterage. Single room supplement is £160. The price DOES NOT include international flights London – Tbilisi and Batumi – London (both via Istanbul) on Turkish Airlines. The cost of these should be around £350 pp and can be confirmed at time of booking.
This tour is for RSAA members only; requirements are a doctor’s certificate for those 70+ and full travel insurance, including for unexpected cancellation.
More details from the travel agents Distant Horizons. Tel: +44 (0) 151 625 3425; email: email@example.com or write to: Distant Horizons, 13 Melloncroft Drive, Wirral CH48 2JA www.distanthorizons.co.uk
Under the Same Shade: Three Years of Working on the Roof of the World
Where: The Royal Asiatic Society, 14 Stephenson Way, London NW1 (Nearest tube stations Euston Square and Euston mainline).
Lecture starts at 1.15pm and finishes by 2.30pm. The sandwich lunch, from 12.30pm, must be booked by 2.30pm the day before.
Tickets: FreeFind out more > Show me all upcoming events