- FUTURE TOURS
- PAST TOURS
- 5 JUNE - 23 JUNE 2019 BISHKEK TO BEIJING
- JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2019 KERALA, TAMIL NADU, WESTERN GHATS
- SEPTEMBER 2018 SVANETI - A REMOTE MOUNTAINOUS REGION
- FEBRUARY 2017 NUWARA ELIYA, KANDY, ELLA, SINGHARAHA RAIN RESERVE AND GALLE
- 13 - 29 SEPTEMBER 2017 THE THREE GREAT PROVINCES OF SUMATRA
- APRIL 2017 STARTING IN AMMAN AND FINISHING AT THE DEAD SEA
- 07 FEBRUARY - 24 FEBRUARY 2017 WESTERN INDIA
- OCTOBER 2016 BHUTAN
- 25 JUNE - 05 JULY 2016 TBILISI, TUSHETI PROVINCE, SHENAKO, DARTLO, PARSMA, ATSUNTA PASS, ARDOTI, SHATILI,KAZBEGI, TBILISI
- 15 - 27 JUNE 2016 TBILISI, KUTAISI, SVANETI AND BUTUMI
- 22 NOVEMBER - 9 DECEMBER 2015 INDIA
- 1 - 18 SEPTEMBER, 2015 UZBEKISTAN
- 5 - 25 JULY, 2015 KASHMIR AND LADAKH
- 23 JUNE - 4 JULY, 2015 LADAKH
- MAY 2015 EASTERN TURKEY
- 21 FEBRUARY - 6 MARCH, 2015 OMAN
- 14 NOVEMBER - 4 DECEMBER, 2014 MYANMAR
- 10 - 25 SEPTEMBER, 2014 TAJIKISTAN
- 10 - 28 SEPTEMBER 2013 INDONESIA
- 27 JUNE - 16 JULY 2012 TAJIKISTAN
- 28 JANUARY - 14 FEBRUARY 2011 INDIA
- 26 SEPTEMBER - 6 OCTOBER 2010 GEORGIA AND ARMENIA
- 26 SEPTEMBER - 14 OCTOBER 2009 BORNEO
- 28 OCTOBER - 8 NOVEMBER 2007 VIETNAM, CHINA AND LAOS
- 28 JULY - 14 AUGUST 2006 MONGOLIA
- COMING SOONEXPEDITION PLANNING
2015 Budget Ladakh Tour
A short, affordable trek through the stunning Markha Valley, high in the Indian Himalayas.
- 23 June - 4 July, 2015
The RSAA’s wilderness tour in 2015 will be to the Indian Himalayas, taking in both the high-altitude deserts of Ladakh and Zanskar, but also the newly re-accessible Kashmir Valley. In addition to this we will be offering a budget programme focused on trekking in Ladakh’s scenic Markha Valley, which can be undertaken as a stand-alone tour or combined with the main programme.The Markha Valley trek is suitable for those of moderate fitness and agility. Please note that to keep costs low, accommodation will be in a budget hotel, simple guesthouses and homestays, and under canvas.
Members will fly directly from London to New Delhi and spend their first night in De Holiday Inn, a small, centrally located hotel. Depending on the arrival time of our flight, there will be time for independent sightseeing in Delhi. The following morning we will fly straight on to Leh, and have a gentle afternoon tour of Leh Palace and the Tsemo Gompa as we acclimatise to the altitude. We will enjoy dinner together and stay the night at the family-run Rainbow Guesthouse, a short walk from the Main Bazaar.
The central component of this tour is an eight day trek through the Markha Valley, a stunning area of central Ladakh that falls within the borders of the Hemis National Park. The route demands between five and seven hours of walking each day and showcases not only the remarkable landscapes but also the area’s unique wildlife (mountain hares, marmots, Great Tibetan sheep, Ladakhi urials etc) and cultural sites such as small gompas and historic ruins. We will have breathtaking views of Saser Kangri (7670m), Stok Kangri (6150m), Kang Yatse (6400m) and Nun Kun (7135m), pass through high-altitude villages, and meet nomads driving their flocks to fresh pastures.
This tour will be led by RSAA member Sophie Ibbotson, author of the Bradt Guide to Kashmir. The cost will be £1400 per person based on two people sharing (£1450 with a single person supplement). A 50% deposit will be required to confirm your place and the balance will be due 12 weeks prior to the start of the tour.
Please note that if you wish to combine this Markha Valley programme with the main Indian Himalayas tour, a discount of £700 will be applicable. Rather than returning to Delhi between the two programmes, you will receive two additional nights at Hotel Caravan Centre in Leh, and either a two-day sightseeing programme (including car/minibus, driver and guide) to the palaces at Stok and Shey, and the monasteries at Thiksey, Basgo and Alchi, or a day spent white water rafting on the River Indus and a day to recover or otherwise do as you please.
To join this tour, please complete the booking form below and send it to the tour operator, Indus Experiences, along with your deposit.
Return to Kurdistan: revisiting the history and cultural identity of Iraqi Kurdistan and northern Iraq
Where: 3.00pm. Medical Society of London, Lettsom House, 11 Chandos Street, London W1
Teatime event with refreshments afterwards
Tickets: FreeFind out more > Show me all upcoming events