16 JANUARY 2017
JPT Family Trust Medical Science Award for 2017
The Royal Society for Asian Affairs invites applications from individuals aged 21-30 for an award established by The JPT Family Trust, supported by long-standing members of the Society, who have a special interest in medical science and practice in challenging environments.
The aim of the award is to encourage purposeful travel in Asia by medical students. Applicants should submit a plan of a project involving travel in a country or countries of Asia and relating to the medical project (practice or research) and details of the area to be visited. Any part of Asia, including the Middle East, may be chosen. Plans should be costed as far as possible and should state the duration of the travel involved and how the costs will be met. The award will be made on the basis of originality, coherence, evidence of background knowledge, and the degree to which the project is likely to add to medical understanding of the area chosen and/or to benefit local people as well as the applicant. Preference will be given to projects that are linked to their academic or other speciality courses. Please see the criteria for applications attached as an Annexe to this notice.
Applicants should provide their postal address and support letters from two referees. To avoid unnecessary expense, the aim is to make the award on the basis of written submissions, which should be no more than two sides of A4 in length and should be sent both in electronic form and in hard copy. A one-page CV including date of birth should also accompany the application. In the event that two or more submissions were deemed to be of equal worth, candidates would be called for interview in London. An acknowledgement of the application will be sent on its receipt.
The successful applicant(s) will be expected to make a presentation to the Society about the project after its completion, and to provide a photographic or other pictorial record.
The present notice refers to travel in 2017. The award will consist of up to £1,500 and two years’ gratis membership of the Society. The adjudicators have discretion to divide the award among more than one candidate if appropriate.
Applications should be sent to arrive no later than 24 February 2017 to: The Secretary, The Royal Society for Asian Affairs, 1A St Martin’s House, Polygon Road, London NW1 1QB (email: email@example.com), to whom any queries should be addressed. The Society will notify the successful candidates by 15 March 2017.
See application criteria below.
Criteria for applying for the award.
12 Good reasons given for travel
- Awareness of cultural differences between Western & Asian systems and opportunity this provides for new thinking
- Interest in and understanding of host country healthcare system and challenges it faces
- Focus on a problem relevant to needs of host country
- Originality & novelty of idea, ie work of applicant rather than institution
- Clear description of project objectives and question(s) to be answered
- Choice of method appropriate, realistic and with likelihood of success
- Knowledge of relevant data handling techniques
- Use of technology matches healthcare system being visited
- Sensible planning, budgeting & organisation
- Good use of contacts and sponsoring organisation to enable project to succeed
- Explains how results of project will be fed back and to whom
- Identify benefits of project to individual, learning objectives
Plus CV evidence of initiative, achievement & work with others
Applicants are advised that the Award Committee will be looking to see how each applicant has included each of the above 12 criteria in their application and will be awarding marks 1-5 on applications for each of the 12 criteria. It is therefore important that these are all covered in
Thomas & Lucy Atkinson: Pioneers in Central Asian Exploration
Where: The Royal Asiatic Society, 14 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HD [Nearest Underground Stations Euston Square or Warren Street]
Lecture starts at 7.00pm. Drinks and nibbles available from 6.15pm.
Tickets: Free. Members and their guests only.Find out more > Show me all upcoming events